As we gear up for this June’s release of Jurassic
It’s a new year, so that means there’s a whole new crop of movies coming up in 2015. From January to December, there are a lot of big ticket blockbusters and prestigious film coming to a theater near you, so let’s run down 11 highly-anticipated movies coming in 2015.
- The Avengers: Age of Ultron. The Marvel sequel to close out Phase Two will kick off the summer movie-going season in 2015. The first Avengers movie was one of the highest grossing movies of all-time, so it stands to reason that The Avengers: Age of Ultron might top the original. The Avengers: Age of Ultron will hit theaters on May 1, 2015.
- Jurassic World. When it’s released in June, Jurassic World will be the first movie in the Jurassic Park film franchise in 14 years since Jurassic Park III in 2001. It will be interesting to see a Jurassic Park movie where the amusement park is fully operational and a popular tourist attraction. Jurassic World will hit theaters on June 12, 2015.
- Terminator: Genisys. The fifth movie in the Terminator film franchise sees the T-800 return in an alternate universe where the first two Terminator movies didn’t happen. Terminator: Genisys will hit theaters on July 1, 2015.
- Fifty Shades of Grey. The film is based on a best-selling novel that is considered a taboo subject in most circles. While Fifty Shades of Grey was supposed to be released in 2014, I think it was a smart move to push its release for Valentine’s Day instead of the summer. Fifty Shades of Grey will hit theaters on February 13, 2015.
- Blackhat. With the recent Sony hack, there is a lot of interest with global cyber espionage and Michael Mann’s Blackhat might fill that interest. The film stars Chris Hemsworth as a hacker who tries to foil cyber criminal. Blackhat will hit theaters everywhere on January 16, 2015.
- Furious 7. With the death of Paul Walker in 2013, Furious 7 will be a movie to watch in 2015. The seventh movie in the Fast & Furious film franchise, Furious 7 sees the return on Dominic Toretto & Brian O’Conner in one last movie together. While I’m sure the series will continue with an eighth movie, Furious 7 will be the last featuring this high-octane duo. Furious 7 will hit theaters on April 3, 2015.
- The Hateful Eight. Quentin Tarantino’s seventh film is highly anticipated. The director said he wouldn’t make the movie after his screenplay was leaked, but it seems that Tarantino had a change of heart. While The Hateful Eight is the seventh outing for Quentin Tarantino, this will be his first with 70mm film stock. I think that’s reason alone to watch the new movie. The Hateful Eight will hit theaters everywhere in December 2015.
- Silence. Martin Scorsese’s first movie since 2013’s The Wolf of Wall Street, Silence will see the director team up with Andrew Garfield, Liam Neeson, Issei Ogata, and Ken Watanabe. Based on the best-selling Japanese novel of the same name, Silence follows the story of a Jesuit missionary sent to 17th century Japan. Silence will hit theaters everywhere in November 2015.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part Two. The conclusion of The Hunger Games film series, Mockingjay – Part Two will continue the story of Part One with Katniss Everdeen trying to take down the Capitol, while trying to bring back Peeta from the clutches of President Snow. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part Two will hit theaters everywhere on November 20, 2015.
- Spectre. The 24th movie in the James Bond film franchise, Spectre will see the return of SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion. After the worldwide success of Skyfall, Spectre will be the most sought after movie in the James Bond series. Spectre hits theaters everywhere on November 6, 2015.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Star Wars: Episode VII was announced in 2012 and over the past three years, fan anticipation is at an all-time high. The Force Awakens is the first Star Wars movie since Revenge of the Sith in 2005, the first one directed by J.J. Abrams, the first movie in the new Disney/Lucasfilm era, and the first without George Lucas. Need I say more? Star Wars: The Force Awakens will hit theaters everywhere on December 18, 2015.
Are you excited about any of these movies? What movies are you looking forward to in 2015?