In Edmond, Oklahoma, a young girl visited a dentist for
Pain affects everyone at some point in their lives. Sometimes it’s quick like brain freeze, sometimes it’s chronic. And sometimes, there are really unusual ways to get rid of it. Read on to discover 11 interesting facts about pain.
1. Go on! Curse, swear, scream obscenities, cuss, or damn – It will increase your pain tolerance, reducing the anxiety of being in pain.
2. In addition to typical aches and pains, Tylenol not only relieves physical pain, but it alters a person’s mental state. It is capable of alleviating psychological pain such as social rejection.
3. No one likes to be ignored, but when someone is ignored by the person whose attention means the most to them, the brain sends signals similar to physical pain. The solution? Refer to number 2.
4. Say this 3 times fast: sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia. What is it you ask? The real term for brain freeze. Pain receptors in the mouth mix up the pain source, giving you a brain freeze headache.
5. Good news for the ladies: It’s said that Queen Victoria used cannabis to relieve pain from her menstrual cramps.
6. Bad news for women: They have two times as many pain receptors as men.
7. People with long-lasting chronic pain can suffer brain damage because of continuous activity in regions of the brain that would otherwise be at rest.
8. It was commonly believed that babies could not feel pain and received heart and other surgeries with no anesthesia. This practice wasn’t changed until the mid-1980s.
9. Forget milk! Drink vodka! Liquor has the tendency to ease the pain of a hot pepper.
10. According to this article, “President John F. Kennedy received regular injections containing around 15 mg of methamphetamine,” for his painful war injuries and also to help maintain his image of youthful vigor. The shots came from Max Jacobson, aka “Dr. Feelgood – doctor to the stars.