During the early 90s, Nirvana was at the top of
Naming a band can be a fun, yet difficult thing to do for new bands. Sometimes musicians can come up with very creative names that stick out in fans’ minds. Add in whether or not the name makes sense, then you’ve got a recipe for confusing a lot of people. Here are 8 bands with misleading names.
- Ben Folds Five. There are only three members in Ben Folds Five and not five, like their name would suggest. Ben Folds started the band and called it Ben Folds Five because it sounded better than Ben Folds Three, despite the latter being more accurate.
- Barenaked Ladies. There’s not a single bare naked lady in Barenaked Ladies. They named the band as a joke to get people’s attention.
- 10,000 Maniacs. There are only five members in the band 10,000 Maniacs. They named their band after the horror film 2,000 Maniacs from the 1960s.
- Maroon 5. Despite starting with five members, there are actually six members in Maroon 5 now. I think it would be silly for them to change their name after so much success.
- Girls. The San Francisco-based indie rock band Girls doesn’t have a single girl in their band. It’s a bunch of guys.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. The duo Joshua Epstein and Daniel Zott, who are known as Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., are not actually related to Dale Earnhardt, or his son, Dale Earnhardt Jr. When NASCAR.com asked them about the name Zott stated, “The name for us was just a way to identify our crazy new project that had no limitations. People have no idea how we are going to sound, and so it gives them a reason to actually take some time to listen to the music.”
- The Tallest Man on Earth. Singer/songwriter Kristian Matsson is actually 5’7″, which is NOT the tallest man on Earth. It was a nickname given to him because of his unique and bold singing voice that made audiences feel as if the tallest man on Earth was on stage.
- Of Montreal. The indie rock band Of Montreal isn’t actually from Montreal, Canada. They’re originally from Athens, Georgia. Frontman Kevin Barnes named the band after his ex-girlfriend’s hometown.