Dozens upon dozens of athletes have turned to acting over
Tom Clancy was one of the most prolific, celebrated American authors before his passing, at the age of 66 in 2013. He created the Jack Ryan character and had several other interests aside from novel writing. Here are a few interesting facts about the man behind the Red October…
1. Despite being an avid military historian and writer, Clancy never served in the military because of his poor eyesight.
2. Clancy was working as an insurance broker when he began writing The Hunt For Red October. His wife implored him to give up the writing and stop wasting his time, until she read the book, which became a wild success.
3. A woman in Washington, DC, read his novel “The Hunt For Red October” when it was first published by the Naval Press Institute in the 1980s, and loved it so much that she gave a copy to all her friends. One of those friends was President Ronald Reagan, who stepped off Marine One with the book tucked under his arm. A reporter saw the book and asked Reagan, “What are you reading?” Reagan then held up the book so everybody could see the cover and replied, “It’s a really a good yarn.” After Reagan’s compliment, Tom Clancy’s first novel became a best seller.
4. He was a partial owner of the Baltimore Orioles. The baseball team wore “TC” patches in memory of the author during the 2014 season after he passed away in October 2013.
5. Clancy is, more or less, credited with creating the “techno-thriller” genre in popular literature.
6. Despite hitting shelves in 1989, Clear and Present Danger became the highest-selling book of the entire decade of the 80s.
7. Even though he began as an author and flourished, Clancy might be known more to the younger crowd as the founder of a video-game company that included the Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell series’.
8. At the time of his passing, Clancy’s net worth was approximately $300 million.
9. Clancy said of all the actors to play Jack Ryan, Ben Affleck (The Sum of All Fears) was his favorite.