There is absolutely no denying that Freddie Mercury, the flamboyant
Singer Sebastian Bach once famously stated, “If I ever grow up, I don’t want to be around for it.” The former singer of heavy metal band Skid Row may refuse to admit that he just turned 47 years old. Let’s celebrate with some facts about the frontman with the fabulous hair.
1. Early beginnings: Bach’s vocal stylings were first heard by the public when he sang in his church choir. His impressive vocal range took him much further than those cloistered robes.
2. Heavy metal madness: In 1991, Skid Row’s Slave to the Grind, became the first metal album to enter the Billboard charts at the #1 position. Later that year, Guns ‘n’ Roses also debuted at #1 with both of the Use Your Illusion albums.
3. He’s still a mama’s boy: On December 21, 2014, a Bach concert took a turn for the unusual. He finished singing “Monkey Business” and launched into a rendition of the “Silent Night” Christmas carol. Then Bach unexpectedly stopped the show to yell at an audience member for pushing his 70-year-old mother, who was standing at the front of the audience. Bach’s profanity-laden rant can be seen here.
4. That famous t-shirt: Bach got into hot water in 1991 for wearing a t-shirt that read, “AIDS Kills F*** Dead.” Bach first claimed that he never even read the shirt, which was a gift from a fan. He later admitted he was “really stupid and wrong” to wear the shirt. In 2000, he donated $12,000 to fight AIDS at a Broadway Cares auction.
5: Lost his home to Hurricane Irene: In 2011, Bach’s New Jersey home fell prey to Hurricane Irene. The structure was damaged and rendered uninhabitable, and the irreplaceable Skid Row master tapes were destroyed during flooding. Bach salvaged his comic book collection and KISS artifacts and spoke aloud on Facebook: “New Jersey, thank you all so much for 25 years of rock n’ roll. It’s all over now. I will always love New Jersey but now there is literally nothing left for me here except memories of a past life.”
6. Broadway star: During the early aughts, Bach used his vast vocal range as a segue to Broadway gigs. In 2000, he starred in Jekyll and Hyde with a successful run. In 2002, he signed on to play Jesus Christ in the Jesus Christ Superstar production. In 2003, he was fired for his demanding, diva-like behavior.
7. He wanted to front Velvet Revolver: In 2003, Bach auditioned for the Velvet Revolver supergroup (which included wayward G’n’R members Slash, Matt Sorum, and Duff McKagan). Slash turned him down because “We sounded like Skid Roses!” The band went on to hire Scott Weiland.
8. He’s a rock star & plays one on TV too: In 2013, Bach appeared as a dead rock star on an episode of Showtime’s Californication. From 2003 to 2007, he also played a recurring role as lead guitarist Gil on the WB’s Gilmore Girls.
9. He gave up alcohol: Bach appeared on the 2006 VH1 reality show Supergroup. Ted Nugent led an intervention on Bach, who subsequently stopped drinking alcohol. Nugent said he’d “kick the sh*t” out of Bach if he ever drank again. Sebastian later pranked Nugent by pretending to drink Jack Daniels whiskey, but it was only iced tea.
10. He’s currently engaged: Bach was previously married to Maria Aquinar (with whom he had two sons) and engaged to model Minnie Gupta (with whom he had a daughter). He’s now dating model Suzanne Le, and the couple became engaged in December 2014. Bach tweeted, “So lucky to be in love with my best friend @suzanne_le”