Throughout history, people have been imprisoned for writing their true beliefs
The saying ‘only children and fools always speak the truth’ advises the wise to do the opposite. From bluffing, white lies and half-truths to lying by omission – we all do it. But unlike Pinocchio, whose nose grows with every lie; human lies are not so easily detected. From polygraphs and truth drugs to reading facial expressions we try to root them out, but meanwhile the Burlington Liars Club celebrates the art of lying by annually electing a “World Champion Liar”! Whatever your view, these 21 sharp quotes may make you re-think your next little white lie.
Truth and Lies
1. “Ask no questions and you’ll be told no lies.” Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.
2. “Falsehood flies and the Truth comes limping after it.” Jonathan Swift, Political Lying.
3. “A lie will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on.” C. H. Spurgeon
4. “A lie told often enough becomes truth.” (This has been variously attributed to many different people from Lenin to Hitler).
5. “Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.” Albert Camus.
6. “Lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things is the proper aim of Art.” Oscar Wilde
7. “Deceiving others – that is what the world calls a romance.” Oscar Wilde.
On Lying To Yourself
8. “I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me.” S.E. Hinton The Outsiders
9. “I’m the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It’s awful. If I’m on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I’m going, I’m liable to say I’m going to the opera. It’s terrible.” J.D. Salinger, The Catcher In The Rye.
10. “The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions”. Leonardo Da Vinci.
11. “The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish ‘the truth.” Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.
On Being Lied To
12. “All propaganda is lies, even when one is telling the truth.” George Orwell.
13. “There are three types of lies — lies, damn lies, and statistics.” This was said by Mark Twain and attributed to Benjamin Disraeli who in turn was probably quoting even older sources!
14. “Never attempt to win by force what can be won by deception.” Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.
15. “The great masses will more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie” Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf.
16. “An unexciting truth may be eclipsed by a thrilling falsehood.” Aldous Huxley, Brave New World.
17. “I’m not upset that you are lying to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” Friedrich Nietzsche
On Telling The Truth
18. “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” Mark Twain.
19. “To lie, of course, is to engender insanity.” Anais Nin.
20. “O, what a tangled web we weave; when first we practice to deceive! Sir Walter Scott.
21. So, how to catch a liar? The art of detecting lies by facial expressions can be seen here: