Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park is an awe-inspiring adventure spectacle. It
If you’re reading this website, there’s a good chance you hold an advanced degree. There’s also a high probability that your career has nothing to do with your academic pursuits. You’re in good company with many celebrities who hold masters, doctorates, or even professional degrees. Some of these list entries shall truly surprise.
1. Rowan Atkinson – Comedian, actor, engineer: This rubberfaced actor has a backup plan, should his Blackadder and Mr. Bean franchises ever dry up. Rowan earned a master’s degree in electrical engineering from Oxford University in England.
2. Ken Jeong – Actor, comedian, physician: He’s known for his comedic performances in The Hangover franchise and Community, but Ken holds a medical degree from University of North Carolina. He completed his residency in internal medicine.
3. Shaquille O’Neal – Basketball player, actor, giant: In addition to Shaq’s basketball and film achievements, he hit the books behind the scenes. Shaq earned two graduate degrees — a masters of business administration and a doctorate in education.
4. James Franco – Actor, director, writer: Franco is the biggest multitasker on this list, and he lets everyone know it. Dude holds an M.F.A. from Columbia and a master’s degree in filmmaking from NYU. Franco’s still working on his Ph.D. in English.
5. David Duchovny – Actor, director, producer: The truth is out there for Duchovny, who earned a master’s degree in English lit. He started a doctorate program, but the lure of Hollywood won out before he could finish his thesis.
6. Mayim Bialik – Actress: This nerdy actress from the Big Bang Theory isn’t simply the ex Blossom. Bialik earned a Ph.D. in neuroscience from UCLA. She also plays a neuroscientist on The Big Bang Theory.
7. Kristen Chenoweth: This baby-voiced actress holds a master’s degree in opera performance from Oklahoma City University. She paid for college with money from beauty contests and scored the 1st runner up title in 1991’s Miss Oklahoma contest.
9. Michael Bloomberg – Mayor, banker, and businessman: Bloomberg holds a bachelor of science in electrical engineering from John Hopkins University. He went on to study at Harvard (M.B.A.) and become one of the richest men in the United States.
10. Sigourney Weaver – Actress: Weaver pursued acting while completing a B.A. in literature from Stanford. She moved on to Yale Drama School where she earned an M.F.A. and, of course, a successful career in Hollywood.
11. Ron Jeremy – Adult entertainer: Now here’s a surprise! Jeremy earned a master’s degree in special education from Queens College in New York. He went on to pursue (ahem) much more lucrative endeavors.
12. Bill Cosby – Comedian and actor: Before Cosby carved out his niche onstage and on television, he earned a master’s degree and a PhD from the University of Massachusetts.
13. Dolph Lundgren – Actor: Although he’s known for his roles in head-clunking action films, Lundgren is a brainy guy. He holds a master’s in chemical engineering from the University of Sydney, Australia. He almost went on to Massachusetts Institute of Technology but dropped his studies to play bodyguard and boyfriend to Grace Jones.