So you think you know everything about Snoop Dogg? Girl, you just love his Doggystyle. There’s so much more to learn:
1. Snoop Dogg’s real name is Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr. His parents nicknamed him “Snoopy,” which caught on as a lifelong moniker.
2. Snoop Dogg married his high school sweetheart, Shante Taylor. They wed in 1997 and nearly divorced in 2004 before renewing their vows. The couple is still together with three teenage children to boot.
3. Unlike many rappers, Snoop comes by his gang credentials honestly. Snoop is a former member of the Rollin’ 20 Crips. He now actively speaks out in favor of gun control.
4. Snoop loves sports, especially football and basketball. His other favorite teams include the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders, New England Patriots, LA Dodgers, and LA Lakers.
5. Snoop likes to mix up his musical influences. Although he is primarily a rapper, he’s also recorded reggae and country albums.
6. Snoop Dogg has created several alter egos throughout his career. The most notorious ones are known as “Snoop Lion,” “Snoopzilla,” and (most recently) “Snoop Todd.” Here’s a photo of Todd, a white guy who fancies himself a ladies’ man.
7. Snoop isn’t the founder of his famed -izzle speak. He simply re-popularized the slang method throughout the hip-hop community.
8. Snoop tried his hand at acting with little success beyond cameos. His appearances include stints on Entourage, One Life to Live, Weeds, King of the Hill, and Monk.
9. Snoop owns up to few famous relatives. His cousins include Brandy Norwood, Ray J, and Nate Dogg.
10. Snoop is no stranger to feuds. After Dr. Dre started working with Eminem, Snoop used his “2 Minute Warning” song to dis the newcomer. During a recent feud with Iggy Azalea, Snoop took to Instagram to toss insults her way. He apologized to Iggy after rapper T.I. told him to chill.
11. Snoop’s arrest record is extensive. He’s been arrested in several different countries for possession of various drugs (including cannabis and cocaine) with intent to sell.
12. Snoop tried to stop smoking marijuana in 2002. It didn’t stick. Now he admits to smoking up to 80 blunts per day.
13. Australia banned Snoop from its borders in 2007 on character grounds, citing his various criminal convictions. The ban was lifted in 2008.
14. Snoop prides himself on being politically active but aligns himself with no particular party. He endorsed Republican Ron Paul (in 2012) and ended up voting for Barack Obama. He vehemently spoke out against Mitt Romney’s candidacy.
15. Snoop Dogg is rumored to have an IQ of 147, which would qualify him as a genius.