Human beings are pretty well programmed to love babies, but
Here at Phactual we’ve had tons of articles about animals of all shapes and sizes, but there’s one class of animals missing: babies. Young animals have all kinds of distinctive, adorable, and amazing behaviors. Don’t miss these cuties.
1. Most puppies play with their litter mates or any other pups they can find, but scientists have found that male puppies will often let female puppies win when they play.
2. While still in the egg, chicks can communicate with each other and mom by cheeping through the egg.
3. If one squirrel finds a squirrel baby that has been abandoned, it will adopt the orphan.
4. Puppies start life with only 28 teeth but grow up to have a full 42.
5. Pygmy Marmosets start to learn language by babbling in the same way that human infants do.
6. Baby dolphins use spines on the sides of their tongue to zip into a straw. That way they can drink milk without getting a mouth full of salt water.
7. Japanese macaques will make snowballs when they’re young. Not for any particular reason, it’s just a game.
8. Just like infant suck their thumbs, baby elephants suck their trunks for comfort.
9. Young chimps will create dolls out of sticks and rocks, then play with them by scolding, feeding, and cradling them.
10. Baby rabbits are called kittens.
11. Sometimes a mom elephant needs a break from their exuberant babies, so young female elephants will act as babysitters to give mom a break.
12. Many eagle chicks will actually kill their siblings in order to get access to more and better resources from mom.